Thursday, October 18, 2012

Polygamy in Brazil

Today I read an article about a recent polygamous civil union in Brazil, between a man and two women. The article explained that while polygamous marriage is illegal in Brazil, the laws regarding a civil union never specified the amount of people allowed in a relationship. Many people in Brazil are outraged that this union has taken place and are demanding that the union be deemed illegal. This is partially due to the large influence of the Catholic Church in Brazil and in South America. However, some are in support of the union. Those who support it  believe that the government should not control our love life. I'm personally surprised that polygamy had such a harsh response here in comparison to the rest of the world. Brazil is the one country I have found to be passionate about the banning of polygamy. To read the full article click here.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting. I have never heard of anything like a civil union between 3 people. I can see how this brings up many controversies with Catholics from South America, but I kind of do not understand why they are in such uproar. I mean these people are not married, if they want to be in a relationship that includes three people thats up to them.

    ReplyDelete